- 8 kg/4 lb. mussels
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion. peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves. peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chili. deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 kg/2 2/3 lb./3 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup white wine
- 175 g/6 oz./1 cup pitted and halved black/ripe olives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- warm crusty bread. to serve
Clean the mussels by scrubbing with a small. soft brush. removing the beard and any barnacles from the shells. Discard any mussels that are open or have damaged shells. Place in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Change the water frequently before cooking and leave in the refrigerator until required.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion. garlic and chili until soft but not colored. Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. then simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the white wine to the tomato sauce. bring the sauce to the boil and add the mussels. Cover and carefully shake the pan. Cook the mussels for 5-7 minutes until the shells have opened.
Add the olives to the pan and cook uncovered for about 5 minutes to warm through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Discard any mussels that have not opened and serve immediately with lots of warm crusty bread.