This moist honey cake is an ideal breakfast and sweet treat for any season. Rich, moist, and very delicious, here is the recipe:
- 440 grams (3 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 3 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) whiskey or rye (optional)
- ½ cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup warm (240 ml) freshly brewed coffee or strong tea
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds or coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Use a non-stick cooking spray, grease pan(s). (Fits in 3 loaf pans, two 9-in. round or square cake pans, one 9 or 10 in. Bundt or tube cake pan, or one 9×13-in. sheet cake).
- Next, in a large bowl, combine together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves. Make a well in the middle, and apply honey, white sugar, brown sugars, oil, vanilla, whiskey or rye (if using), eggs, coffee or tea, and orange juice.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, whisk together well to make a well-blended, thick batter.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan(s). Then, sprinkle some almonds or coconut flakes on top of the cake(s).
- Apply cake pan(s) on 2 baking sheets (this will make sure the cakes bake well with the bottom baking more rapidly than the cake top and interior).
- For the loaf cakes baking time is 45-50 minutes; for tube and angel cake pans, about 60-75 minutes; and for sheet style cakes, this will take around 40-45 minutes.
- Allow cake sit 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Slice and serve.