This marmalade cake is a real pleasure! Easy and simple but rich and yummy! Plus, it is quite cheap to make it! So, any time you like to eat something sweet and homemade – this orange marmalade cake is the thing! Here is the recipe:
- 200 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing – at room temperature
- 4 medium oranges
- 5 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 180 grams’ golden caster sugar
- 6 tablespoons marmalade (of your choice)
- 200 grams self-rising flour
- A pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 50 grams ground hazelnuts (or other nuts of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23 cm loose-bottomed cake tin and sprinkle the base of the tin with some demerara sugar. Set aside.
- Thinly slice 2 oranges and arrange the orange slices over the base of the cake tin in a slightly overlapping layer.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the caster sugar and butter until pale and fluffy. Next, whisk in the eggs, one at the time, and add 3 heaped tablespoons marmalade. Mix to combine.
- Fold in the ground nuts, flour, and a pinch salt and whisk to incorporate. Finely grate the zest from the remaining two oranges, and then squeeze in all the juice and combine.
- Spread the batter into the tin. Bake for around 50 minutes, or until it reaches golden color and it is firm to touch.
- Next, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Turn out the cake onto a serving plate very carefully, while it is still slightly warm.
- Use a toothpick to prick holes. In a pan with 5 tablespoons water warm the rest of the marmalade in order to make a glaze and spread it over the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a cup of coffee, tea, yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream (if desired).