These lemony cupcakes are so refreshing and delicious. They get some added zest thanks to Limoncello.
This liqueur always reminds me of my Christmas holidays in Verona, my hometown, when we used to drink it for the holiday season after desserts – it was our family thing. Today, I prepare these lemony cupcakes at any season – because I really like the taste of lemon and I also like cupcakes – so this combination is totally my jam!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ¼ cup Limoncello liqueur
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Grated peel and juice of one medium lemon
For the frosting:
- 8 oz. (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello
For the garnish:
- A few lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 (325°F/ 165°C/ Gas Mark 3, for nonstick or dark pan). Apply paper baking cup in each of 24 cupcake cups.
- In a mixer bowl, on low speed, beat cupcake ingredients for around 30 sec., then on medium 2 minutes. Split batter evenly among cupcakes cups, filling each around 2/3 full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Set aside to cool in pan for around 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, whisk in Limoncello liqueur and powdered sugar until combined; then whisk on medium until fluffy. When you are done – frost the cupcakes.
- Decorate with lemon slices (if desired). Serve or cover and store in the fridge.
Note: Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. For more lemon flavor, fill centers of baked cupcakes with a dollop of lemon curd.