Amaretti are classic Italian biscuits with nice, bitter almond flavor, similar to macaroons, which give an extraordinary twist to many desserts, like this tiramisù. You can buy or make them yourself— it is very easy. Anyway, if you are a tiramisu lover, then you will love this one – try it! You will need around 20 minutes to prepare this amaretti tiramisu plus around 2 hours to set. Here is the recipe:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 60 g (2¼ oz) sugar
- 250 g (9 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry (fine) Marsala (optional)
- 9 soft amaretti
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) strong espresso coffee, lukewarm 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whisk the egg yolks and 40 g (1½ oz) of the sugar in a large bowl until the mixture becomes mousse-like in consistency. Add the mascarpone and whisk until you have a thick cream. Mix in the Marsala (if using). In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until firm. Gently fold this mixture into the mascarpone cream.
- Dip the amaretti in the coffee, flattening them a little. In each glass, place 1 tablespoon of mascarpone cream and half an amaretto. Cover with mascarpone cream to the top of the glass, then push a whole amaretto into the middle.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Just before serving, dust the tiramisù with the cocoa powder using a small sieve.