This almond gelato is a classic Italian recipe and one of the best Italian ice-creams. It has a very rich, creamy and silky almond flavor and unique taste that always reminds me of Italy and my nonna Angela. You will need just 20 minutes to make it plus a few hours to set. Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 oz. blanched almonds
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar and beat until creamy and pale yellow. Set aside the bowl.
- Next, in a saucepan, pour the milk and apply over medium-low heat. Heat until you notice that steam is released when stirred (don’t allow it come to a boil).
- Once the milk is ready, use a sprout to transfer it to a pitcher. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add milk to eggs and sugar mixture. Then, pour vanilla and combine again.
- In a food processor, apply almonds and run until fine. Put vegetable oil and process again until well incorporated. Place almond paste in milk and egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Then, transfer the mixture back into the saucepan; apply again over low heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Finally, place the mixture into a freezer for at least 4 hours to set – or place it in an ice cream maker (and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions).